Student internship in policy and advocacy
Student internship in policy and advocacy
For 6 months, starting February 2018
CONCORD is the European confederation of Relief and Development NGOs. We are made up of member organisations: 28 national associations, 20 international networks and 3 associate members that represent over 2,600 NGOs, supported by millions of citizens across Europe. We are the main interlocutor with the EU institutions on development policy. We are a not for profit organisation, registered under Belgian law as an a.i.s.b.l - Association Internationale Sans But Lucratif - (An international not for profit association).
CONCORD is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, colour, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. All employment decisions are made entirely on merit. We strongly encourage persons with disabilities to apply.
We are looking for an person who: is passionate, motivated, creative, cooperative, and committed and would like to gain valuable work experience and contribute to the work of a confederation of NGOs whose vision is of a world in which poverty and inequality have been ended; in which decisions are based on social justice, gender equality and upon our responsibility to future generations; where every person has the right to live in dignity, sustainably, on an equal basis, free from poverty.
As an intern, you will support CONCORDs Policy and Advocacy work on Sustainable Development (with a particular focus on sustainable consumption and production), Migration and Global Cizitenship Education. You will work within our Policy and Advocacy team under the supervision of two Policy and Advocacy Coordinators.
Main learning objectives
- You will be able to acquire a good understanding of decision-making processes in EU institutions as well as the ways of working in an EU NGO confederation, bringing together networks and national platforms from across the European Union.
- You will be able to obtain knowledge about EU development policies in general, and sustainable development, sustainable food consumption and production, migration and development as well as global citizenship education in particular.
- You will be able to build your policy analysis and advocacy skills, including drafting relevant documents, enhancing the engagement of members in order to develop and advocate for CONCORDs positions, monitoring EU institutional policy processes, drafting minutes of meetings.
- You will be able to enhance your coordination skills, process management skills and organisational skills.
- All while working in an international, multicultural environment.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The role involves supporting the work related to the implementation of CONCORDs policy and advocacy work in terms of monitoring key policy processes and coordinating our relevant members in the collective policy and advocacy work vi-à-vis the different EU institutions. Assist with the preparation of communication material, e.g. regular newsletters. The intern will divide her/his tasks between 2 Coordinators working 2,5 days/week with each Coordinator.
- Organise the policy and advocacy work on sustainable (food) consumption and production.
- Support the policy and advocacy work on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Policy Coherence for Sustainable Development;
- Support the implementing of the policy and advocacy work plan in the area of migration.
Global citizenship education:
- Support the implementing of the policy and advocacy work plan in the area of Global Citizenship Education, awareness raising and civic engagement .
Generic policy and advocacy work:
- Participate in and contribute to the coordination within the Policy and Advocacy team and with other departments and contributing to generic policy and advocacy work.
Staff coordination and work:
- Participate in staff coordination meetings and contribute to generic staff work.
Conditions of Employment - PLEASE, READ THIS CAREFULLY
The internship must be part of a school curricula; the intern must be enrolled in a study programme during the internship.
The school/ institute/ University must provide an internship convention that will be signed between the intern, the school and CONCORD at the beginning of the internship.
The internship will take place in 2018 (full time 5 days a week), based in Brussels, Belgium. It is unpaid. CONCORD is giving a student allowance of 100 euro/month + reimbursing public transport tickets.
The interns performance will be monitored and evaluated according to the process required by his/her school or university.
Qualification and Experience
ü The interns university studies or equivalent in development studies, political science, EU or other relevant studies
ü Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
ü Eager to take initiative
ü Team player capable of working under pressure and under tight deadlines in a small, dynamic and multi-cultural NGO environment
ü Excellent spoken and written English. French or other European languages are assets
ü Capacity to synthesize and analyse information.
ü Strong computer skills
Please submit your CV and cover letter (in English) setting out your reasons for applying for the internship and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by February 4, 2018.
Please indicate clearly in the subject line of your email: APPLICATION FOR POLICY AND ADVOCACY INTERNSHIP
Short listing and interviews:
Short listing is based on CV and cover letter. Successful candidates will be asked to attend a face to face or skype interview.
Please note that due to the large number of expected applications only successful candidates will be contacted. In advance, we thank all candidates for their interest.
Closing Date: 4 February 2018
Interviews dates: 8-10 February 2018
Aimed start date: mid-late February 2018
Jeudi 18 janvier 2018 / Vendredi 02 fevrier 2018
T. +32 (0)2 743.87.60http://www.mundo-j.org/fr/Associations/Concord.html